Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Past 3 Months...

...have been a positive turning point for me, mainly because I've returned to school for a second degree. After graduating from UF last May, I was frustrated (like everyone else) when I couldn't find a real job. I'm a very ambitious person and I expect a lot from myself, so it was hard to swallow what I saw as a failure in not entering the workforce. Harder still when friends around me got hired because it was a mixture of being happy and proud of them vs. the frustation of wondering "When Is It My Turn?"

My other main problem was that I lacked direction. I'm always busy trying to learn so many things that I can't seem to focus at being really good at one thing. That's why I shy away from that ominous question of "What do you want to do with your life?" To which I secretly want to say, "Everything."

What eventually helped me get over my depression was my mother. She'd gone back to school to study paralegal. At almost fifty, my mother was finally doing what she was really interested in after spending the past two decades raising me and my sister. It was inspiring seeing how excited she got about her classes and how hard she worked to get the top grade. It had been a long time since I remembered becoming that motivated over an assignment. That usually only happened when I was doing something creative...and with that thought in mind, I considered returning to school for something design-related. It was sheer luck/coincidence/impeccable timing that I found a banner ad for the Art Institute of Jacksonville and become enrolled in January.

It seems so long ago but really it's only been 10 weeks since I first started at AIJX. Since then, I discovered how much I enjoy the assignments (even this blogging thing!), the design challenges, and seeing how good other students are. I haven't felt this motivated (or competitive) in a long time and that's what turned it around for me. Knowing now that this is a field I can focus on, (hopefully) excel in, and ultimately enjoy in the long run. And meeting crazy/funny/brilliant students and teachers from all walks of life reinforces my belief that these are the type of people I want to work with in the future.

So while my first quarter ends this Friday, for me it's just the beginning.

Of everything.

9 comments:

  1. I just want to let you know that I am glad u finally found something that you look forward. U r a very talented person. You have the skills that I want and desire, mayb you can show me sometimes. Good luck to you and I know for fact that you will exceed in this career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you have found something you love! You are very talented and motivated and I know that will succeed in anything you choose to do.
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat post Klara. Your story reminds me of my mom when she was studying to pass the RN boards when I was in middle school. She was a LPN then, and according to my dad she's failed the exam before. Never have I seen my mom so focused and determined.
    Long story short, she passed, and when she discovered her exam results, I never knew what tears of joy meant until then.

    Like I tell the FSA kiddies, once you find something you love and want to do, there's absolutely NOTHING that can stop you. Even better yet is surrounding yourself with people with similar determinations to succeed. Keep up the hard work Klara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a very determined/motivated person and I admire that. Out of all of my friends I don't worry about you too much because I know you'll do just fine. Keep it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Klara. You seem like you are going to be very successful in life, no matter how hard it may have been since leaving UF. You do an awesome job at Dalton and I'm sure people will start to catch on to your work ethic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey hey! I'm happy you've found what you enjoy... it's never too late to try anything, but you're amazing so I'm sure you'll succeed in anything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great that you keep pursuing your dreams - so many people "settle" for what they don't want - and stay with the status quo. But, hey, "We Got Time," right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. All things come to those who wait... I know how frustrating it can be to work, do and "be" all that you can in hopes of achieving that "one thing" - be it the perfect job, perfect relationship, right car, apartment, house, promotion or whatever. So it just seems logical to ask - "when is it my turn?"

    I found out out personally that you can NEVER do enough, always improve, always try harder, do more and find that we do our best most rewarding "work" when life hands you challenges, or often what we refer to as crap. The most rewarding thing for me in this past year - outside of raising my son has been working with a bunch of girls who have every reason in the world to ask "when is it my turn?" They aren't looking for the perfect job, promotion or accolades, just a loving home and a place to fit in. These girls (teen girls in a group foster home - which means that they can not stay in foster care with a family because they are more "problematic" because they have seen the worst things in life) FIGHT, argue, act out, cry, cuss, break the law and do all kinds of terrible things but have moments of normalcy where they want to have a dance contest, scrap book, watch a movie, go to Olive Garden, bake cookies, and ask me - "Miss Holly - why can't you come everyday?" Well if that does make you feel like total crap for stressing out about carving out time once a week to get there because it is hard to do all the things we need to do - then nothing will. That same little girl (age 13), who has been terribly abused, who would rather kill herself or her parents if they sent her back - WANTS to see a special someone everyday. A person who cares.

    Maybe God puts up right where we are supposed to be everyday - in a less paying job with more flexibility to be able to go to a teens girls home and help someone else for free. It's the best compensation package I have ever received.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi ate! i feel the same way you do sometimes (wanting to do everything!) and the future worries me, but i'm really glad you've found something you're passionate about. i'm still trying to sort out what i want to do after i graduate, but hearing about your experience makes me feel better about the future :)

    ReplyDelete